Thursday, July 26, 2012

À bientôt Remoska

Today is an exciting day.  Not only is it the Opening Ceremony of the London Olympics (I feel very sad not to be there to enjoy the party) but also, for me, it's New Oven Day.  The electrican will be arriving shortly and later today the new oven should be up and running and I can't wait. It was more than a year ago that I gave up on the gas guzzling, bottom burning oven that we inherited with the house and turned it into a cupboard.  What have I cooked with in the meantime?  Well...

Last summer, after much deliberation, we bought a Remoska from Lakeland   The Remoska is a mini oven that has been used in the Czech Republic since before the Second World War.  In 1990 two Czechs bought the manufacturing equipment and started making them again.  It's so easy to use - it just has an on-off switch, that's it!  It's all Teflon coated so easy to clean and runs on a fraction of the electricity of a standard oven.


 
It was one of the best purchases we have made.  OK, it's not overly attractive, especially as mine doesn't look as clean and shiny as this anymore as it's been so well used, but it is such a great thing.  Over the last year it has helped me rustle up full roasts, lasagnes, cakes, scones, biscuits, toasted sandwiches and so much more.  The claims on the Lakeland website are completely true (although I've never managed crisp roast potatoes in it).  Whilst I'm really looking forward to the versatility and size of a normal oven it won't be goodbye "Moska", you'll still be brought out for smaller things when I don't need a full oven.

Tonight though, I'm dusting off the pizza stone, cranking up the new oven and will be eating celebratory pizza for the Opening Ceremony.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog through Cookbook Junkies on Facebook. I have dear friends who live in Aberdeen so I go as often as I can to visit. One of the highlights of each trip is shopping in Lakeland! I love Lakeland! I am very impressed by what you have been able to produce from your little "Moshka." And I can't wait to see what comes out of the new oven. :)

    Congratulations on the new addition to the family.

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the Remoska has been fantastic - as you can probably tell, I've grown quite attached to her! Isn't Lakeland wonderful?! I love browsing through their catalogue and always have a long shopping list for when I visit. In fact, I must have a look at their bakeware for the new oven...

      Delete